Synthetic Radiochemist - Specialty Synthesis - R&D Job
Date: Jul 7, 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN, US
Synthetic Radiochemist - Specialty Synthesis - R&D-1104824
Dow AgroSciences LLC, based in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, is a top-tier agricultural company that combines the power of science and technology with the "Human Element" to constantly improve what is essential to human progress. Dow AgroSciences provides innovative technologies for crop protection, pest and vegetation management, seeds, traits, and agricultural biotechnology to serve the world's growing population. Global sales for Dow AgroSciences, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company, are $4.9 billion.
The Specialty Synthesis Group is seeking a Synthetic Radiochemist to be responsible for the management of Dow AgroSciences' inventory of carbon-14 radiolabeled chemicals used to support registration of new and existing DAS products. The incumbent will ensure compliance with Nuclear Regulatory Commission regulations by maintaining records on use of radioactive materials. Another major responsibility of this position is the synthesis and purification of carbon-14 radiolabeled molecules. Other responsibilities for this position include synthesis of intermediates, field samples, metabolites, and stable-isotope (15N, 13C, 2H) containing molecules.
- Perform preliminary packaging of radiotracer samples for internal and external shipment.
- Maintain computerized records on the DAS inventory of radiotracer samples.
- Synthesize carbon-14 labeled radiotracers.
- Synthesize unlabeled chemical standards and field samples.
- Manage outsourcing of radiotracer purifications at external CROs.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry with previous laboratory experience in synthetic organic chemistry.
- Knowledge of modern separation methods (flash chromatography, HPLC) and spectroscopic identification techniques (NMR, LC/MS, GC/MS) is required.
- Previous experience in radiochemistry is preferred but not a requirement.
- A serious safety focus and attention to detail are necessary in this role.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office and chemical drawing programs.
- Previous experience with database management is desirable.
Primary Location: North America-USA-Indiana-Indianapolis